The Camon 15 is TECNO’s latest addition to the Camon series and this time, it comes in three variants – the Camon 15, the Camon 15 Air and the Camon 15 Premier which is the one I have with me right now and hence, the one we are going to be talking about. I also reckon the 15 Premier to be the most premium of the bunch. Have a look at my Camon 15 Premier Unboxing
Now I should mention that, as at the time of writing this post, the Camon 15 is yet to officially launch here in Nigeria so, I can’t yet confirm which of the 3 variants will be available in Nigeria or if all of the 3 would be made available. Information on availability, price and other things to note would be updated on my social media following the launch and subsequently, in a follow-up post.
Moving on…, just before we tear the box open, here are some key specifications as evidently stated on the box. A 128GB of storage, 6GB of RAM, a 64MP Ultra Quad Camera, an Ultra Night Lens which is something TECNO has been teasing about so I’m definitely looking forward to testing that. Also, a 32MP Pop-Up front-facing Camera, a 6.6 Full HD Full view display at 2340 by 1080 resolution, a 4000mAh battery, and the device is running on Android Q, otherwise known as Android 10 operating system. And the color we have here is the Opal White.
What’s in the box?
A user manual, of course, a warranty card, sim card ejection tool, earpiece, USB cable, and a power break.
We have the standard Volume rockers and power buttons to the right-hand side of the phone,
the Sim card and memory card slot in one compartment to the left-hand side,
Speaker grills, USB/charging port and headphone jack to the bottom.
And on the top, we have the motorized pop-up camera,
- Pop Up Front Facing Camera: This is a trend we have been seeing globally from smartphone makers and to no surprise, TECNO Mobile has followed suit. For now, it looks pretty impressive but I guess, I will have to use it for a while to really see how well put together it is.– 64MP rear camera set up: Again really looking forward to doing some major tests here. There is actually an article that says the camera is made by SONY and that this new 64MP sensor is supposed to improve camera clarity by 68%.
- 6.6″ immersive display: With the front-facing camera now fully motorized, it’s pretty nice to have that full-view experience without the cutouts or hole punches. This is definitely going to make a difference when watching videos or playing games.
- – Fingerprint Scanner: Now, this is not new but however, TECNO Mobile decided to return the fingerprint scanner to the back of the device, as opposed to the predecessor Camon 12 Pro that had an In-display fingerprint scanner. I particularly don’t find this disturbing but let’s just say I enjoyed the in-display fingerprint scanner on the predecessor device.
- – And to a big one, Design! – first, I really love the opal white color. Not sure if there are other colors yet but this opal white is stunning in a subtle way. I think it’s really cool. Other than that, the phone generally feels sturdy at hand. It’s not exactly thin but perhaps, just thick enough to house that 4000mAH battery. In case you were wondering, the Camon 15 premier design is a major upgrade compared to the Camon 12 pro and the even older, Phantom 9. Check out this comparison in my review video.
- – Ultra night lens powered by DSP: I did a quick research on DSP and it means Digital Signal Processor and after reading all of the jargon, it basically stands to improve camera quality, camera versatility, and can even act as a source of information when equipped with a network interface but again, I guess we’d have to see how far it goes on the Camon 15 premier.
- Now, something I am a little disappointed about on the Camon 15 premier is the lack of USB type C or fast charging. Even though the Camon series are not exactly TECNO’s flagship, I really think there’s no reason for the device not to have one. But again, these are just my first impressions and I’ll definitely have more to say when I actually get around using the phone. But so far, I will say Right Moves, Right Places… especially that this is still going to be considered a mid-range device. But you know what, let me know what you think in the comment section. And if you have got some questions, I will absolutely love to hear from you. Lest I forget, I got the Camon 15 premier alongside some lovely gift items which I might also end up giving away, or like the last time on my Youtube Channel, actually do a phone giveaway. So to make sure you don’t miss out on that, follow me on social media, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube.