The TECNO Camon 16 series is coming just after 5months of the launch of the predecessor Camon 15 series. And in all honesty, it feels just like yesterday. Reality check! No thanks to Coronavirus.
In TECNO’s usual manner, the Camon 16 is coming in three variants, the Camon, the 16 Pro, and the 16 Premier which is the premium of all and also the one I’m going to be unboxing and talking about here.
WATCH CAMON 16 PREMIER UNBOXING HERE
Boldly written on the box are some of the key features of this device.
We have a:
– We have a 48MP Dual Front camera with a wide-angle lens included
– We have a Super Video mode which for someone like me who makes a lot of vlogs and video contents, this will be something interesting to look at
– We also have an ultra night portrait mode powered by Taivos and if you don’t already know, TAIVOS is short for TECNO AI Vision Optimization Solution and it is essentially a dedicated microprocessor working together with AI algorithms to significantly enhance night-time photography.
– Then to the not so new one, is a 64MP rear ultra quad camera. I said not so new because it is essentially the same thing we have on the Camon 15 premier. However, as you can see, the physical set up is quite different here.
– We also have a 6.9 Full HD Dual Dot in Display which you can already tell by just looking at the size of this thing. It’s a massive device and it is remarkably bigger than the Camon 15 premier if placed, side by side. If you love bigger form factors in a phone, the Camon 16 premier would certainly be of interest to you.
WATCH COMPARISON WITH CAMON 15 PREMIER HERE
– Another interesting feature here will be the 33WAT flash charge. I am particularly glad for this one because the older Camon 15 premier really takes a while to full charge so I think this is a really interesting one to see here. Also, the battery is a 4500mAH capacity, which also, again is an upgrade from the Canon 15 premier.
– Finally, we have a 128 GB + 8GB and definitely the 128 storage is expandable with an SD Card.
What’s in the box?
We have a warranty card, a silicon gel-like case which is a must use for me, considering the back of the shows a lot of fingerprints. Inside the box is the device itself but that aside for a minute, we also have a charger brick, which is a very chunky one in size. But not surprised, given it is a 33WAT charger. Something has got the house that power! Tucked down below in the box is the USB Type C Cable, SIM ejection tool, and also an earpiece.
What’s new on the phone?
– A hole punch on the upper left corner housing the front dual cameras
– The rear quad cameras being moved to the upper center of the device
– And as you can already tell, the fingerprint has also moved from the back of the device, and this time, it combines with the power button by the right-hand side of the device.
– The right-hand side of the device also holds the volume rockers
– The left-hand side holds the SIM and Memory Card slot
– The bottom of the phone holds the speaker grills, 3.5mm headphone jack, and the USB/charging port.\
– The top of the device as you can imagine is empty which I appreciate from a minimal design perspective
Here are my impressions:
The device feels great at hand, I love the design. Maybe a little too bold for my style but it definitely has some things going on for it like the Front dual cameras, the new video mode, the 33WAT charging, the ultra night portrait, and the 90htz refresh rate. But at the end of the day, these are specs I’m still going to put to test to see if real-life usage matches specs on paper.
Look out for my full review and especially camera test because as some of you know, that is really my focus with any smartphone I review.
On that note, make sure to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE
The recommended retail price of the Camon 16 Premier is N115,800.